January 15, 2011

How To Lose Two Weeks

Thermometer
I have to laugh when I look at my last post. In it I discussed all the things that I was going to miss by not going out and partying for New Year's Eve. I especially enjoy the part about my head in the toilet. Well, New Year's Eve came and went with no problems.

On New Years day my family kept with tradition and headed out to our local Dairy Queen that offers their entire menu at half price. It's a crazy mass of humanity and I question why we do it, but we do.

I didn't feel right the whole day, but I chalked it up to the hectic weeks that had proceeded it and the lingering cough and cold I couldn't seem to shake. The day slowly want down hill from there. I came home and slept. I remember finishing my Blizzard since it was half priced. Then, my wife felt my forehead. A few moments later the thermometer confirmed that I was running a decent fever. At that moment I still thought I would be fine in the morning and go to church. My wife knew better.

The next days are vague memories of lying on my couch, having my head in the toilet, and generally feeling rotten. A little Tylenol would bring the fever down and I would try to eat something, and a couple of hours later the fever would return. It wasn't until Wednesday that I went to the doctor and found out that I was no longer fighting the flu, but I was now fighting pneumonia. I felt dead.

I struggled with the antibiotic and overall tiredness. Another Sunday came and went with me on the couch. Then thankfully, it seemed to break. It took a week and a half, but suddenly I felt like I was going to live again. The random times of tiredness remain which I've been told is common with pneumonia, but overall I feel good again. I'm looking forward to being in church in the morning.

So, two weeks into the new year and I've spent that vast majority of it either lying on my couch or sitting in my chair. I'm looking forward to getting out and living again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

happy you are all better :)