July 28, 2009

Everything a Message

2817064149_19b97d8087_m
As we walk through this world, do we allow God to constantly instruct us? Is it possible to see Biblical lessons in the most mundane of places? That’s one reason I love hanging out with my friend Cornell. He is an expert at finding teachable moments in everyday things. I try, but I’m still a work in progress.

This past Sunday with a host of people away, I not only had to preach both services but I also filled in for the teen Sunday School class. Needing something to do with them, I decided to go this route. Don’t think me insanely creative, but I got the idea from Brent Salyers at Camp X. I gave them an object from the room and they had to come up with a basic lesson from the Bible that the object could help illustrate.

The best one in my opinion came when I put out a piece of Sugar Daddy candy. One of my youth (you’re awesome Brianne) came up with the basic idea that it doesn’t matter what the wrapper looks like, it is what’s inside that counts. You can run with in a variety of directions. Perhaps a message on hypocrisy and putting a “Christian” wrapper on when you are anything but a Christian. Or, you could go with a message on how God looks beyond physical appearance to heart. It was a great time and I heard a lot of great ideas.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much that we’re going to do it again at our youth services tonight. I’m going to speak a little about allowing God to teach you as you walk through your day and then give them some opportunities to think creatively again.

Everything a message poster
Then, in what may be one of the crazier ideas I’ve had, I going to present to them my plan for our September sermon series. I’m going to have them to bring in objects the week before each message. I’ll allow them to vote and pick one, and then I will write a message for the next week and incorporate that object into the message. My brain has been running a little slow this summer, and this seems like an interesting way to get me creatively thinking. Not only that, but it will force me to prayerfully seek God for fresh ideas and insight.

It might bomb completely. I might have to get up one night and honestly say that I couldn’t come up with anything. Yet, I think the God that created the universe can work with me to come with something interesting. I’m looking forward to the challenge.

Oh, in case you’re wondering why I’m promoting this so early, it’s simply because we have some events and another trip to the Warren Family Mission coming up during August. Just wanted to get it on the radar.

On Facebook? The original post resides at www.focusedjourney.com.

No comments: