July 27, 2009

The Curse of the Meatloaf

3388930732_a3b0d0df6b_m
I do about 95% of the cooking in my family. It’s something I enjoy doing and quite frankly, something I’m really good at. You name it and I can cook it. From homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs to handcrafted spicy pork tamales, I really can do it all. That is, I can make it all except a lowly meatloaf. Over the years of my marriage I have tried again and again to make meatloaf and it never comes out right. It’s my mom’s recipe so I know it should work, but it never does. Every time it falls apart as you try to dish it. You can never get a nice slice of it. I’ve added more egg and I’ve taken away egg. I’ve added more bread crumbs and I’ve taken away bread crumbs. Nothing ever seems to work.

Now, my brilliant readers out there may accuse the recipe as the being the problem. Trust me, I wish I could blame the recipe, but remember, my mom makes it and it comes out fine. Even worse, my wife can make the meatloaf following the exact recipe that I do and it turns out fine. I love her, but that’s a little frustrating.

I guess there’s a moral to all this though, and if you know what it is, please leave me a comment so I can know it too.

On Facebook? The original post resides at www.focusedjourney.com.

No comments: