October 26, 2009

Adios Old Comments and Other Changes

I have officially made my behind the scenes changes to the web site. I know some of you don't care and if that's you, go ahead and stop reading now. The biggest thing that I changed was that my bog now syncs with my blog that I have on Google's blogspot. Before acquiring my own domain and deciding to use Rapidweaver, I tested and used both Wordpress and Blogger. They were okay, but I liked the greater control I had using Rapidweaver. I never got rid of the accounts though. Anyway, I came across a way to sync my blogspot and Rapidweaver. I set it up and it does work. The benefit is that I have a backup blog. This is nice in case I decide down the road not to renew my domain. That's a couple years away, but it I thought it wise to have it already have it in place.

The added bonus is that I can now blog from my phone when I'm traveling. There is a free iPhone app that allows you to post to your blogspot blog. I can write a blog, it syncs to blogspot, and then appears on my blog. Then, when I publish down the road with Rapidweaver, the blog entry is imported into Rapidweaver. I've been impressed on how well it works. Some bugs to be sure will pop up, but nothing too bad.

That does lead us to the couple problems I faced. I had to choose between my old comment system or switching over to the comments from blogspot. Using the blogspot would allow comments to be present on both sites. I chose to go that route. Unfortunately that meant losing my old comments. Tough decision but I made it.

Also, Google's spam fighting features prevent me from importing my entire blog at once. When I tried I would get locked out and could only post from blogspot using Captcha to verify that I was a human. So, I will be slowly rebuilding old post a few a day. I'm not in a big hurry. I don't believe that people are clamoring for my blog archives.

That's where the blog stands now for those that were willing to read all the way through.

For the insanely curious, you can check out the mirror image of my blog at www.focusedjourney.blogspot.com.

No comments: