December 19, 2009

Thank You Hackers

I woke up yesterday expecting to spend most of the day preparing for my youth group's dinner theater. Before I left the house, a friend called me to let me know that he had been talking with someone claiming to be me on my Facebook. They were asking for money because they claimed that I had gotten stuck in London. It sounded realistic since people knew I was flying back from Kenya a couple days ago. I jumped on to find out and sure enough I had no access to Facebook. That was bad enough, but I soon realized that they had jumped from Facebook and now had control of both my major Gmail accounts. That wasn't good. With that they would have had potential access to password resets from various financial institutions.

Let's just say I was a little nervous. It suddenly became a race to protect my family. I give Google credit. I was able to fill out a form online that required a lot of identifying information about various Google services that the certain Gmail account was connected with, but once I did I had a link that allowed me to regain access within about ten minutes. I jumped on and changed the password on both and went on to change other web site passwords to be safe. I came back and tried to access Gmail again and discovered that my password had been changed. Not only was my account hacked still, but they were actually working against me at the exact same time I was trying to fix things. Not a good feeling.

Thanks again to Google, I was able to regain access. I searched through all the account settings and found the problem. They had set my email to automatically forward to them. Plus, they were getting a text message if anything was changed. I went through and removed everything that they had set up. Then I changed the password again. Then, my wife noticed that Google listed at the bottom of the screen that I was not only logged in from my location, but I was also logged in at a second location. There was an option to terminate the other location. I did and then proceeded to recheck all the settings and change the password again. I did this for both accounts and then waited. I was fairly confident that I got it secured, but I had to wait.

While I waited, I went over to Facebook and reported that my account had been hacked. Within a few minutes my account had been disabled. Better disabled than letting them have access. I'm working to regain control but in the past Facebook has been very slow in my opinion.

So, now I'm checking my accounts constantly to make sure they're remain secure. I've changed a lot of passwords. I'm making them insanely long which is only possible thanks to 1Password. If you're on a Mac, I recommend that you use it. It allows you to create long passwords for websites. It remembers them for you and then fills them in when you visit that web site. Check it out at Agile Web Solutions.

Well that's about it. If you received a strange email from me ignore it. As of now I have control and I hope to maintain it.

No comments: