February 20, 2009

When Success Disappoints

I’m writing this Friday health update and to be honest, I’m a little depressed in writing it. As the graphic shows, I lost one pound. That’s success I know, but it’s a lot less than I wanted. I know the factors that played into it only being one pound.

1. We had a Valentine dinner at church. I worked it, but I also ate it.
2. Valentine’s Day itself was calorically bad.
3. The leftovers from Valentine’s Day were also calorically bad.

I have been overweight a long time, but last week I dropped four pounds. I’ve read enough to know that four pounds is an amazing amount to lose in one week, especially since I haven’t really started exercising yet (it’s beginning soon). Yet, I’m human and had mentally psyched myself up with thoughts of dropping below 220 in two weeks. Unrealistic I know, but that’s what I was thinking.

Another one of the struggles is summed up in two words, Auntie Anne’s. As yesterday’s post so eloquently states, I had to find a new pair of running shoes. The heel is falling off the pair I’m wearing now. Added craziness, I’m still wearing the old ones until the mud and melting snow dries up so I don’t get the new ones covered in mud. As I searched for a pair, I found myself at the mall still trying to find a basic shoe at a good price. The journey led me past Auntie Anne’s pretzels. I am a bread and pretzel lover and nothing screams to me like a hot pretzel dripping with melted butter. I whipped out my phone and checked online for calorie information. One pretzel was 370 calories. You could drop some calories by omitting the butter but that defeats the purpose of the pretzel. It was a battle supreme as I debated whether or not to get one. The fact is that I had enough calories in my budget to eat one. Yet, I didn’t get one. I don’t know what depressed me more, the fact that I’m overweight and I have to count calories or that I had enough calories left to get one but I didn’t.

On the exercise note, we just got Wii Fit and the balance board. Google Wii Fit if you have no clue what I’m talking about. Around here it’s been impossible to find. We’ve called Best Buy several times on Sunday afternoons after seeing their advertisement in the paper only to have the person on the phone basically laugh at us. Every time they were sold out within moments of the store opening. Even online it’s been difficult. The only places I could find them were selling them for over forty dollars more than the retail price. Sorry, I can wait. Anyway, Wednesday morning I got an email from Amazon.com stating that they had received a shipment of Wii game systems. I figured there was a good chance that they might have gotten the Wii Fit in stock too. I was right. I ordered and chose free shipping which means it was going to be a week or so until we got it. It came last night. Major shout out for Amazon and UPS for having it get to us in one day. Played with it last night. It can’t replace a gym, but it was fun and got me moving. It’s a good start.

Well, that’s enough for now. I try to limit myself to writing about my health and weight to once a week since this isn’t a diet blog. Yet, it is part of my journey.


Reading this on Facebook? The original post resides at www.focusedjourney.com.

No comments: