April 27, 2009

Software Review - EasyCrop

I am a software junkie. I love testing and trying out new software. Yet, I find myself regularly falling back on certain applications that do one thing and do it well. Thanks to Tim Verpoorten for that phrase. EasyCrop is an application whose main purpose is to crop and resize a photo. I just realized today that an update that was released a while ago added the ability to perform screen captures too. The main functionality though still revolves around the cropping.

The process is simple. Drag a photo onto the left panel. Choose a predetermined crop size or just use free cropping. Once you have selected your crop, the right panel show you what your crop looks like. The program allows you to view it fit to the window or its actual size. I prefer actual size because it allows me to see at a glance how big the photo actually is. With a simple slider, I can then begin resizing the photo to a smaller size. This is great for adding an image to a webpage. Instead of uploading a large image, I can upload a small image that loads much faster. Then, when you have the crop and size where you want them, you just drag the image in the right panel to where you want it. You don’t have to save it somewhere and then come back to it in another program. I drag images from Easy Crop straight to my blog editor. Quick, easy, done.

The image below is what the program looks like. I used EasyCrop to resize the picture of EasyCrop. There’s a paradox in there somewhere but that’s for another day. I have some pretty powerful image editors that can handle cropping, but nothing works as quite as simple as this little piece of software. If you’re on a mac, you can check it out at www.yellowmug.com.

No comments: