February 11, 2009

Book Review - I Do Again

This week I have the chance to review a few books dealing with relationships. Today I’m looking at “I Do Again” by Cheryl & Jeff Scruggs. As always, I’ll post the publisher’s description and the author bio before sharing my opinion.

Description:
With their professional success and adorable twin daughters, Jeff and Cheryl Scruggs looked like the perfect couple. But their polished facade concealed a widening chasm between two people unable to connect on an intimate, soul-deep level.

After years of frustration, Cheryl’s desire for emotional fulfillment led to an affair and, finally, divorce. Yet, incredibly, seven years later, Jeff and Cheryl once again stood at the altar, promising to “love, honor, and cherish” one another. A new and vibrant love had risen out of the ashes of this family’s pain.

I Do Again details the fascinating real-life story of a couple whose relationship seemed shattered beyond all hope until a spiritual awakening led them to reconsider their definitions of “happily ever after.” A riveting account of the power of prayer and redemption, this remarkable book offers renewed hope for even the most troubled marriages—and reveals why the rewards of restoration are well worth the wait.

Author Bio:
Cheryl and Jeff Scruggs are the founders of Hope Matters Marriage Ministries, and for the past several years they have shared their incredible story of a marriage restored with audiences across the nation. Jeff is an account manager with OshKosh B’Gosh, and Cheryl has served as director of the Frisco, Texas, office of the Center for Christian Counseling. They live in Dallas, Texas with their two college-age daughters.

My Thoughts
Just so it is clear up front, this book is not some dry marriage counseling textbook. It’s an autobiography of a couple that experienced the pain of divorce and then witnessed the power of God as He slowly brought them back together.

The authors make it clear from the beginning that they are not perfect people and that there are things that they did even while God was working in them that was not appropriate. Personally, it didn’t bother me. I saw it as a true picture of a relationship with God. Even as we draw close to Christ we blow it sometimes. Not always out of open rebellion, but often out of immaturity. God patiently keeps working to correct us. I give the Scruggs credit for being so open with their humanity and the way God never gave up on either of them.

With that said, I thought it was a great book. I enjoyed reading it and found myself rooting for the both of them to make it. In a world where marriages fall apart left and right as theirs did, I was cheering for their marriage to be restored. My wife will tell you it affected me because when I was finished I walked over to her and gave her a very long hug. She was enjoying the hug for a moment, then she started laughing and pushed me away. With a smile in her eyes she looked right at me and said, “You’ve been reading that marriage book again haven’t you?” She got me on that point, but I don’t mind if a book causes me to want to love my life in a better way.

Another point that the book stresses is that to be able to love another person fully, you must first be fully committed and in a loving relationship with Christ. Loving God with everything allows us to love others the way they need to be loved. This thought has been rolling around in my mind since I read it.

I’ll just close by saying the book is worth picking up and reading. It was worth my time and I think it would be a benefit to other couple’s.

You can pick up a copy at Amazon.

No comments: