January 15, 2009

iPhoto '09

I use iPhoto on my Mac to manage all my photos. With family, church, and especially youth, the number of photos I have is constantly climbing. Having the ability to sort, tag, and lightly edit has been great. The new features in iPhoto ’09 are making it better. I still think there should be an upgrade price, but I’ll be forking over the money anyway.

The main feature that has me waiting is face recognition. Currently, I go through all my photos that I take and tag the name of each person in the photo. It’s time consuming, but worth it when I need a shot of a certain person. With face recognition, the software isolates the faces in each photo. Once this is done, you tag one of those areas with a name. Then, it searches all the photos to find that person and automatically tags their name. That alone is worth the price of admission to me.

I know other apps out there can do this and I’m hoping Apple’s implementation of it works extremely well. I guess we’ll see in about a month when it actually hits the market.

No comments: