February 23, 2008

Are We Listening

Today is Saturday and my day off. I like my day off. I have time with my family, a nap isn't something to be ashamed of or avoided, and I can relax. One way we relax is to throw on some old television shoes (season DVD's are a great thing). I had on an Andy Griffith show and there was a line were Andy comments on the only way he can get his son's attention his to take out a commercial on the radio. This is in response to Opie walking down the sidewalk listening to a baseball game on his radio. I laughed at the fact that things haven't changed. From radios to Walkmans and from CD's to iPods we have a thousand things to keep our ears occupied.

With so much noise it's hard to listen to God. The most important thing we need to hear is drowned out by a multitude of other noises. The thing is, we choose to allow those other noises to crowd God out. No one every has ever forcibly made me listen to my iPod. It's my choice. As Jesus took time away from the crowds, maybe we need to take time away from our crowds. I like the thought. I need a look at my calendar, but I think some days of chosen quiet are in order.

No comments: