February 4, 2010

iPad Reflections

ipad
I'm fully aware that there are tech pundits waxing eloquently for and against Apple's newest creation now known as the iPad. I've read quite a few opinions and now feel it is my duty to tap these keys and place my own thoughts out into the wild.

For those that don't know (and I assume some of the people that read this don't), last week Apple unveiled a new computer product called the iPad. It's a slim and lightweight tablet style computer. It sports a touch screen a little under 10 inches and runs on the iPhone OS so out of the box it can run almost all of the applications found in the Apple App Store. The comparison I've run across the most is that it looks like a big iPod Touch. That also seems to be the greatest complaint; that it is nothing more than a large Touch.

When it was revealed last week, I was at work but I had my browser open to various blogs that were doing live updates. After seeing the features, tech specs, and some photos, I realized that there was never a moment where I thought to myself, "I have to get that". After all the rumors and hype building up before the event it was almost impossible not to be let down. The device looks amazing and from a design point of view it is beautiful, but what would it be really good for? That summed up my attitude.

Now that I've had a few days, my thoughts have slowly began to change. It started when I downloaded the podcast of the event and watched it. Just seeing the iPad being held makes a major impact. Photos, even the one I included, don't give you a size perspective. Once you see a picture of someone holding it you appreciate the size. It's like holding a thin book. This is where I think the iPad shines.

I enjoy books, but I appreciate having digital copies of my reading material. Digital copies are searchable, always with you, and compact (obviously computer code doesn't take up much physical space). I already see this with my iPhone. Most of my devotional time in the Bible is done on my iPhone. I have the complete Bible on my phone compliments of LifeChurch.tv. I have a vast number of modern translations to choose from and even the convenience of my reading plan being right there. Added bonus, my Bible is always with me. However, the screen is small. I'm comfortable with it, but it is small. While the iPad isn't going to slide into my pocket, it presents to me a nice option. I could hold a device that is more book like, while still giving the power of having the multiple translations and so on. While they haven't officially said yes, I would love for the Bible software I use (Accordance) to make an app for the iPad. I could read a passage, pop open a commentary, maybe even do a little Greek or Hebrew background, and then write some notes on the passage all in the application. I think this will happen.

Further, I would love to see the magazines that I subscribe to come to me in a digital format on the iPad. I know there are digital options out there already, but they don't look right on the widescreen of a laptop. I think the iPad could show the page more as it was intended to be. While this hasn't happened yet, I think we are moving that route. I love the idea of having old issues of my magazines saved for reference without taking up tons of space on my bookshelves.

The more I've thought about it, the more I've even come to believe that this is the device for my mom. My mom is dabbling in email and does some basic web surfing. She does it on my dad's old HP laptop which sometimes presents more problems than it solves. A simple portable device like this would be perfect in my opinion. If I had a thousand dollars to blow I'd get her one. That amount obviously takes into account my need to have one at the same time. Mainly so I can familiarize myself with the device so I can help her if she has any questions. Yeah, that's the reason I'd need one too. The things my mom needs from the Internet and a computer in general could all be taken care of in this one simple device.

One final thought. The lack of a camera doesn't bother me. I doubt I'd be taking a lot of photos with an outward facing camera. Second, I already don't enjoy talking on the phone. Why would I want to turn that phone call into a video call with an inward facing camera?

I don't have the resources just to buy one when they hit the market and there are a few apps I'd like to wait and see if they arrive, but I could see myself enjoying this some day. That day is probably years away, but I can see it.

That's my thoughts. If you have any feel free to leave them in the comments.

On Facebook? The original post resides at www.focusedjourney.com.

No comments: