April 28, 2009

The Monkey Trap

Tonight I am finishing up my three part “How to Lose Your Faith” series. I’m dealing with the monkey trap, or perhaps better understood as hanging onto the world when all it means is death. I’m starting with the classic story (or legend) that you can trap a monkey by placing an object that it desires in a jar with an opening only big enough for its hand to slide in. Once the monkey grasps the object, it can’t fit its fist back out the jar’s opening. I’ve searched and it doesn’t appear to be a true story which I will make clear tonight, but it really does illustrate the way people view this world. They talk about wanting heaven, but they’re holding so tight to their possessions and relationships that when Christ does return they’ll be left behind.

I have a mental picture of a person holding onto the ground with Christ pulling their feet in mid air trying to get them to let go. Won’t happen that way, but this is the picture I have of people that loudly say they love Christ but really love their things instead. You can hold onto one thing in this life and what you hold onto will determine your future. We must hold onto Christ. He is the only way to the Father.

On Facebook? The original post resides at www.focusedjourney.com.

No comments: