November 3, 2009

A Sloppy Wet Kiss

I was sitting here preparing worship for youth service tonight and one of the songs that I chose to use was "How He Loves" by The Glorious Unseen. Since we don't have live music, I will often choose a song that we don't display the words for at the end for everyone just to worship. I like this song, but I've heard it put down in the past because of one phrase. The line is, "Then Heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss." I admit that I've often scratched my head at this line. It's doesn't seem to be poetic or even beautiful imagery of the Savior's love for us.

Yet, my children have taught me what I believe is the meaning. I love it when my children kiss me. They are completely and unashamed in their love. So much so that they don't realize that it's polite to close their mouths. They don't realize that I shouldn't have to go dry my face off after their kisses. They just love, and for them that love takes the form of a sloppy wet kiss. It's about the purest form of love we experience outside of our relationship with God. Often we don't realize how much God loves us. He's not ashamed of us. He's passionate about us. He wants to grab us in His arms and smother us in kisses and his love.

As we grow older, we seem to leave unashamed pure love behind. We don't like it when grandma's smoother us with kisses. We struggle to release ourselves from the bear hugs of aunts and uncles. We move toward a proper love. A refined love. However, when I look at what Christ did on the cross, I don't see "proper" or "refined" love. I see the raw passionate love of a Creator for his creation. I see love that was willing to pay the ultimate price.

Maybe what I'm writing today is only resonating in my heart and if that's true that's fine. But reflect on the thought that God is unashamedly and passionately in love with you.

1 comment:

Dave Kidd said...

Good Word! Love that song!