November 3, 2008

Thoughts on Wednesday

No matter who gets elected on Tuesday, there will surely be at least three reactions. The first will be smug pride in the fact that a certain candidate won. The second will be dread fear that everything is going to now fall apart. Let me stop there a moment. Neither one of these reactions is fitting for a believer. Will we praise our victory while stomping on those that didn’t agree with us? Are we ever 100% certain our candidate is the best? It’s arrogant and if we’re not careful, our political views may taint our ability to minister to those around us. As for fear of the elected, doesn’t the Word declare that, “perfect loves casts out fear?” (1 John 4:18) Why should we fear when eternity has been completely secured for us by Jesus? I don’t think we need to fear.

I guess what it ultimately boils down to is that I’m a citizen of the kingdom of God first. Those that are a part of this kingdom know peace even amidst the turmoil of the world. That’s where the third reaction comes in. The one that I want to live. Acknowledgment of the winner, a commitment to pray for him, and continuing on with the mission Christ has laid before me. Maybe that sounds simplistic. It probably is, but it’s what I’m going to do my best to live. I guess I feel this way because I don’t believe the government can legislate righteousness no matter which party controls it. Faith can’t be forced. I’m not looking for the President to reach the hurting around me, that’s why God has placed me where I am. Congress will never introduce my neighbors to Christ, but perhaps I can. Government can be good, but we should never expect it to take the place of what God has called us to do.

Tomorrow I will vote for the one that I feel is the better of the two choices. Then, I will continue the mission.

No comments: