September 18, 2008

Watching the Moon

On Sunday night, we arrived home from church in the midst of the storm. We bundled our kids inside as fast as we could. Taco Bell after service is our tradition, so the stupid man that I am I headed back into the storm to get us some tacos. Just before I reached town the call came from my wife that our power had just gone out. Having discovered that Taco Bell was closed (no power can do that), I headed home. By candlelight, we got the kids ready for bed. After Silas was tucked in, Kelly, Havilah, and I went out on the porch. The wind had settled down. The moon was brighter than I can remember. With no lights on anywhere, the earth was awash in the glow of moonlight.

We grabbed a blanket and all snuggled together on our bench. We spent a long time just watching the moon and enjoying the clouds racing across the sky. In a daredevil move, we opened the fridge and swiped some cheese out. A little while later, we were munching grilled cheese sandwiches hot off the grill.

While I don’t want the frustration and trouble that comes with the power going off, there was something so wonderful about sitting in the stillness under God’s moon.

No comments: