May 22, 2008

One Idea & Repitition

Last night, I sat in the church basement with "The Brotherhood." No, it's not some crazy version of a board meeting. The brotherhood is the high school age guys in our youth group. Not all of them, but a few at least. We relax, play pool, and try to get into God's Word. Usually, I have a lesson that we loosely work our way through. This time though, I allowed it to be free question and discussion. Always an interesting time. Questions about why we do certain things in church like raising our hands to is it required to pray over our food before we eat. The coolest part was when one of my guys repeated the main point from the previous night's sermon. I included it yesterday. "Every choice is an opportunity to please God." I made the conscience effort on Tuesday to repeat that phrase at least a dozen or more times. I had the youth repeat it with me. I even yelled it as some youth were leaving for home. It was my main point and I wanted them to remember it. So it was really great when one of my guys repeated it and shared that it was burned into his brain and he kept hearing it all day at school. Of course, my desire is that they actually start putting it into practice, but at least I branded it onto their brains a little.

This was my attempt to do something a little different in one of my messages. So far so good.

No comments: